06 October 2012

Gossip Rags and Double Standards

You know what pisses me off? 

People.

Yes, I said it - People piss me off. People drive me up the wall. People make me want to pull my hair out!

What bothers me the most about people is that we're so gods damn inconsistent. What's got my panties in a twist this time? Double standards. 

Double Standards.

OK - I'll admit it. I was browsing the gossip rags - The Examiner no less, when I happened on this "happy" article. Go read it. It'll take like five minutes tops. It's not like it's got substance to it. I'll wait. 

...

...

...

Told you it wouldn't take long.

These people really piss me off. I am not going to say that Stewart was in the right, but in no way shape or form does she deserve treatment like that. 

I feel like we hold celebrities up to this unnatural standard of perfection. We expect them to better than all of us because they're celebrities and because they're celebrities they're better than all of us. An over-simplification I know, but it works. Never mind that we're expecting them to live their private lives in public. If any "normal" person had to go through what most celebrities do everyday with regards to the paparazzi, there would be mayhem. No one would stand for the invasion of privacy and yet we expect celebrities to politely acquiesce to it. When they don't we get up in arms about the freedom of the media and press. Celebrities are being charged with harassment and assault for trying to fend off people that I can only describe as "Stalkers with Cameras".
It's bullshit, straight up bullshit. 

That's not the only double standard in this cluster fuck. The other side of it involves words like:  

Slut 

Trash

Bitch

Skank

Homewrecker

My favourite is homewrecker. In the context that it is used it implies that it is Stewart's fault that Sanders fucked around on his wife. It implies that she drove his family apart. It drives me nuts! Ok - if she and Pattinson never get back together because of this then, yes, I could be convinced that homewrecker could be applied to that situation. Her actions with Sanders would have effectively broken up the family that she had created with Pattinson. However you will never convince me that she broke up Sanders' family. 

Why?

It's simple. She wasn't the only one in the "affair". Sanders was there too and yet somehow he has manged to escape the "vitriol and venom" that is being spewed at Stewart. If anyone is responsible for breaking up his family - it would be him, not her.

I swear if feels like every time I see something online about an affair it's always the woman's fault. What's worse is that it usually other women that are doling the hate! What is with this woman on woman hate?

I won't even being to say that I'm not guilty of it myself - that would be lying. I'm sure we've all said or done something at one point that was hateful for no other reason than being petty. Petty comments are derived from feeling insecure about something in ourselves. We feel insecure so we push someone down to make ourselves feel better. If you want a better explanation I suggest watching this.

Finally, I just want to point this out - as food for thought. We do not know what happened between Stewart and Sanders. Only they do. In fact, we can never know what happened because we weren't there and all we can do is take their word on the situation. We can make our own interpretations about a situation based on the knowledge that we have.



Statutory Rape by an Authority Figure

Statutory rape by an authority figure is the unlawful sexual penetration of a victim by the defendant or of the defendant by the victim when:
The defendant was, at the time of the offense, in a position of trust, or had supervisory or disciplinary power over the victim by virtue of the defendant's legal, professional, or occupational status and used the position of trust or power to accomplish the sexual penetration.
Statutory rape does not mean that it was physically forced or that there was no consent. It can be "unforced and consented" to if the person believes that they must consent or have reprecussions.
Director:

A person who supervises the creative aspects of a dramatic production or film and instructs the actors and crew.



I am NOT MAKING an accusation here. As I already stated - we can never know what happened between Stewart and Sanders. I would never accuse a person of rape unless I knew for absolute FACT that they had committed it. Rape is a serious crime that should never be taken lightly. Not only is it terrible for actually victims/survivors of rape but for people falsely accused it can be a debilitating sentence since they are now branded as a sexual preditor.

However, I did want to point out that there are many possible explanations for what happened between Stewart and Sanders. We shouldn't be so quick to judge. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It goes without saying I pretty much agree with you, However I have to say how very proud I am of your abilty to see (really see) that which so many just let escape them, to see beneath the surface. I also love the way you write and I could just keep reading your work and passions. Love you!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...